- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 bay leaves
- -6 cloves garlic, chopped
- -2 tbsp capers
- – 400 g chopped tomato (tins)
- -1 tbsp chilli flakes
- – 1 tbsp paprika powder
- – 1 tbsp tomato paste
- – 1⁄2 tsp caster sugar
- – 1 tbsp wild oregano (reserve some as garnish)
- – Salt
For the easy Moussaka sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil and sauté the chopped garlic and bay leaves, saute over low heat for a couple of minutes; add the chilli flakes and paprika, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Throw in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and wild oregano and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, add the capers and salt.
- Check seasoning and set aside.
For the aubergine rolls
- Pre-heat a BBQ/ grill.
- In a saucepan; add the quinoa and 2 parts of water, bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for 15-20 min (until most of the water has evaporated). Transfer to a shallow bowl and leave aside.
- Trim the top and bottom of the aubergines and cut lengthwise into 5mm thick slabs; trim the ends of the courgette and cut into 5mm thick slices (again discarding the skin on both ends). Grill the slices without oil, for a couple of minutes on each side and set aside.
- To prepare the rolls; trim the mastelo chese into 5mm thick slices and then again into 5mm thick batons. Drizzle olive oil on a sheet of baking paper over a flat surface, place the slices of aubergine on it and spread a thin layer of the moussaka sauce on the slices (discard any bay leaves). Sprinkle the cooked quinoa over the sauce and place a slice of courgette topped with a baton of mastelo cheese at one end of the aubergine slices, sprinkle with salt and roll. Stack the rolls with the loose end underneath to hold in shape.
- Double over sheets of kitchen foil into approximately 8”x10” rectangles. Place a spoonful of moussaka sauce on the foil sheets and arrange 4-5 rolls per portion. Fold over and seal the ends into individual parcels and re-heat on the BBQ/Grill for about 8 minutes or until heated through.
- Pierce the parcels away from you to release any steam, carefully open the parcels and lift the rolls onto a serving plate. Top-up with any remaining moussaka sauce and serve garnished with wild oregano and a few sprigs of parsley.