Loukoumades are Greek bite size honey puffs that are dusted with cinnamon and can also be sprinkled with crumbled walnuts- as done here.
In all honesty, they are nothing less than mouthwatering!
Here is a homemade recipe that is guaranteed to satisfy.
– 400 x grams plain flour
– 2 x tablespoons yeast
– 2 x cups warm water
– 2 x teaspoon brown sugar
– pinch of salt
– 1 x egg, whisked
– 1/2 x cup milk
– vegetable oil for frying
– honey for drizzling
– ground cinnamon for dusting
– crushed walnuts for sprinkling (optional)
– In a large bowl, mix yeast with 1/4 cup of warm water and 3 tablespoons of flour, salt and sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
– Add milk, egg, remaining flour and warm water to bowl and with a wooden spoon combine all ingredients well, until combined.
– Allow mixture to sit for about 1 hour, or until batter expands to almost double the size.
– Fill deep frying pan a bit less than half way with oil. Heat oil over high heat and test by dropping 1/4 x teaspoon of dough into oil. Once it turns brown, oil is hot enough.
– Turn heat down to medium and working in batches, use a teaspoon to drop spoonfuls of batter into oil.
– Allow dough to expand into a fluffy round donut. They should become light, crispy and a nice golden colour. Turn loukoumades with slotted spoon occasionally so they don’t stick.
– Place spoon in a warm cup of water in between batches and dry spoon off before placing in next set of batter.
– Remove loukoumades with slotted spoon when ready and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
– Once all batter has been cooked, transfer all donuts on to serving plate. Generously coat with honey, sprinkle with cinnamon and crushed walnuts.
– Serve warm.
*Recipe from flavoursandflair
See our other recipes https://greekcitytimes.com/greek-lifestyle-and-events-from-around-the-world/recipes/