Melomakarona is traditional Greek Christmas spiced cookies that are moist, syrupy and extremely flavoursome.
Here is a family recipe by Flavours & Flair, which not only tastes great but will leave your kitchen smelling amazing every time you bake them!
- 4 x cups olive oil
- 2 x cups sugar
- 2 x cups fresh orange juice
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 x tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 4 x tablespoons Cognac
- 4 x tablespoons baking powder
- 1 x tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 x tablespoon ground cloves
- 2.5 x kilos self raising flour
- 2 x cups fine semolina
- chopped walnuts for garnishing
For syrup →
- 3.5 x cups sugar
- 3.5 x cups honey
- 4 x cups water
- 1 x cinnamon stick
- In a large bowl add sugar and oil and whisk for about 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl add orange juice, Cognac and baking soda and mix well.
- Pour the juice into sugar mixture and also add orange zest, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and semolina and whisk till well combined
- Slowly add in flour and mix together.
- Knead the dough with hands until the dough is soft and smooth.
- Begin making melomakarona into oblong shapes and place each piece on a baking paper-lined trays.
- Place in 180 degrees celsius (preheated) oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until melomakarona is golden brown.
- In the meantime to make the syrup add all ingredients into a saucepan and boil for 6 minutes.
- When melomakarona come out of the oven, place them in cooled syrup flipping them with a slotted spoon to absorb the syrup.
- Place cookies on a serving platter and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
*Recipe & image by Flavours & Flair flavoursandflair
Click here for more Greek Traditional Recipes