Melomakarona are traditional Greek Christmas spiced cookies that are moist, syrupy and extremely flavoursome.
Here is a family recipe by Flavours & Flair, which not only tastes great but will leave your kitchen smelling amazing every time you bake them!
– 4 x cups olive oil
– 2 x cups sugar
– 2 x cups fresh orange juice
– zest of 1 orange
– 1 x tablespoon vanilla sugar
– 4 x tablespoons Cognac
– 4 x tablespoons baking powder
– 1 x tablespoon ground cinnamon
– 1 x tablespoon ground cloves
– 2.5 x kilos self raising flour
– 2 x cups fine semolina
– chopped walnuts for garnishing
For syrup →
– 3.5 x cups sugar
– 3.5 x cups honey
– 4 x cups water
– 1 x cinnamon stick
– In a large bowl add sugar and oil and whisk for about 7 minutes.
– In a small bowl add orange juice, Cognac and baking soda and mix well.
– Pour juice into sugar mixture and also add orange zest, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and semolina and whisk till well combined
– Slowly add in flour and mix together.
– Knead dough with hands until the dough is soft and smooth.
– Begin making melomakarona into oblong shapes and place each piece on baking paper lined trays.
– Place in 180 degrees celsius (preheated) oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until melomakarona are golden brown.
– In the meantime to make the syrup add all ingredients into a saucepan and boil for 6 minutes.
– When melomakarona come out of the oven, place them in cooled syrup flipping them with a slotted spoon to absorb the syrup.
– Place cookies on serving platter and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
*Recipe & image by Flavours & Flair (Copyright) flavoursandflair.com