October last year saw the opening of Greece’s National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST) in Athens, which has now made The Guardian’s list of the top ten new museum openings around the world in 2017.
“History, art and design will be celebrated in their many forms, and disciplines, at new institutions from Paris to Los Angeles and London to Cape Town”, the British newspaper says.
The EMST, which had a “soft launch” in October 2016, is the third new museum on the list and according to the paper was beset by beauractic and financial setbacks for decades.
“The museum’s permanent collection is expected to be unveiled in autumn 2017, when the museum is expected to open in its entirety.
“The reconstruction of EMST has been quite a tale, with over a decade financial and bureaucratic setbacks”, The Guardian mentions.
Top 10 new museum openings in 2017 →
- Museum Barberini, Potsdam, Germany
- Zeitz MOCAA, Cape Town
- National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST), Athens
- Museum MACAN, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Institute of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles
- Victoria & Albert Museum, London
- Design Society, Shēnzhèn, China
- Museum of the American Revolution, Philadelphia
- Musées Yves Saint Laurent, Paris and Marrakech
- Louvre Abu Dhabi, UAE
For more information on the museum visit →