The Acropolis Museum in Athens is among the top ten best museums in the world, ranking 8th on the list of the 2017 Travellers’ Choice Awards for Museums, recently released by travel and booking site TripAdvisor.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York topped the list, while the National WWII Museum in New Orleans came second followed by the Musée d’Orsay in Paris, the Art Institute of Chicago and the State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace in St Petersburg.
The Acropolis Museum had been announced ninth in the world at the 2016 Travellers’ Choice awards for Museums.
“As a traveller, exploring a famous museum or discovering a new one can be the highlight of a trip,” said Brooke Ferencsik, senior director of communications for TripAdvisor, also advising travellers to consider booking a skip-the-line pass or taking a small group tour to save time and make the most of their visit to the world’s top museums.
Top 10 Museums in the World →
1. The Metropolitan Museum of Art — New York City, New York
2. The National WWII Museum — New Orleans, Louisiana
3. Musée d’Orsay — Paris, France
4. Art Institute of Chicago — Chicago, Illinois
5. State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace — St Petersburg, Russia
6. The National 9/11 Memorial & Museum — New York City, New York
7. National Museum of Anthropology — Mexico City, Mexico
8. Acropolis Museum — Athens, Greece
9. Prado National Museum — Madrid, Spain
10. V&A – Victoria and Albert Museum – London, UK