Maria Menounos has shared her mum's delicious Baklava recipe while co-hosting American Talkshow Live With Kelly and Ryan.
Maria was filling in for Kelly two days this week, as the show all week long had the theme "Live Goes Nuts" with different recipes and ways to enjoy tasty snacks.
Saying that it's "easy to make", Maria whipped up the all-time favourite Greek pastry live on television, which you can make too now, as her recipe is below:
Pre-heat oven to 325
- 1 box of filo dough should be at room temperature
- chop 1lb of walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of cloves
- 3 tbsp of sugar
- 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
- ½ kg of melted sweetened butter
- 5 cloves
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 6 cup of water
- ½ orange peel
- ½ lemon peel
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- a flat brush
- sharp knife
2. In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: bread crumbs, cinnamon, cloves, walnuts, and sugar.
3. Roll open the filo and pour a cup of the dry mix onto the filo dough. Use your hands to spread the dry mix evenly across the dough’s top sheet.
4. Start at the bottom of the filo roll upwards tightly. When you get to the top take the entire roll and slide it down to the bottom and re-roll the entire piece again.
6. Place each roll in a 9x13x2 and butter the top layers of each roll.
7. Roll top filo as tight as you can and slide it at the beginning of the second filo.
8. Repeat this until mix is gone.
9. Now take a sharp knife and pre-slice it to the size you like before baking.
10. Bake at 325 for 40 -45 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Take it out of the oven to cool down. Syrup:
12. In a large pot, add all the syrup ingredients (6 cups of water, 2 sticks cinnamon, 5 cloves, 1 ½ cup of sugar, cut orange and lemon peels) Boil until syrupy…then cool off.
13. When syrup is cool pour onto baklava and let it sit until it absorbs.
You can also watch the video of her cooking demonstration here: