Bourke Street driver James Gargasoulas has been found guilty of six charges of murder after going on a horrific rampage and killing pedestrians as he drove a stolen car through Melbourne’s CBD on January 20, last year.
Gargasoulas, 28, pleaded not guilty, however, a Supreme Court jury on Tuesday found him guilty of six charges of murder and 27 charges of reckless conduct endangering life.
In court, he read from a two-page statement that said he still had not “gathered his thoughts” to understand why he committed the attack but told the jury he had a premonition from God before driving to Bourke Street.
“I apologise from my heart, but that’s not going to fix anything, neither will a lengthy sentence fix what I done,” Gargasoulas said.
Yosuke Kanno, 25, Bhavita Patel, 33, Jess Mudie, 22, Matthew Si, 33, and Thalia Hakin, 10, were killed in the rampage.
The jury of seven took less than an hour before reaching their verdict.
Gargasoulas did not react as the jury foreman replied ‘‘guilty’’ to each of the 33 charges. He won’t be sentenced until February 2019, at the earliest, however, is expected to receive a life sentence.
*Photo Source: The Age