Three women tragically die in Kalamata as gas bottle explodes inside kitchen of local tavern


Screen Shot 2019 02 03 at 2.33.34 pm

A tragedy occurred in the centre of Kalamata overnight after a gas bottle exploded inside the kitchen of a local tavern resulting in the death of three women.

It was just before 9 pm when a loud explosion was heard coming from the tavern, which is one of the oldest and most popular restaurants in the city.

Screen Shot 2019 02 03 at 2.32.20 pm

Two workers and the shop owner’s wife tragically lost their lives, leaving the local community in shock.

According to initial reports, the incident occurred while the owner's husband attempted to change the gas bottle.

Police said the victims were two employees, aged 53 and 46, as well as the 53-year-old wife of the shop owner.

The husband, aged 53 and another worker aged 27, were also injured.

The explosion took place at Dionysos Tavern, at the corner of Iroon and Santaroza streets, just opposite the beach.