A tavern owner in Crete has saved the life of his customer, a British tourist who was choking on food, as the owner quickly ran to his rescue and performed the Heimlich manoeuvre.
The incident was recorded by a security camera at the tavern in Chania and was later posted by the owner himself Vasilis Patelakis, who wants to inform people of how important it is to learn this life-saving procedure.
The dramatic video shows the tourist eating with his partner, and at one point you can see the man struggling to breathe. The tourist stands up and goes into a panic, while his girlfriend also gets up and tries to help him. People sitting at other tables close by are seen looking at him but not knowing what to do.
That is when the owner of the tavern quickly intervenes and applies the Heimlich manoeuvre and within a few seconds, he managed to save his life by applying strong pressure to his abdomen, between the navel and the ribcage, allowing the food to dislodge from the man’s windpipe.
The video has since gone viral, sending a strong message on the importance of learning first aid.
*Watch the video here-