Chinese President Xi Jinping arrived in Athens on Sunday evening for an official visit that is meant to deepen economic ties between Greece and China.
The Chinese President and his wife were welcomed at Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos” by Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Dendias on behalf of the Greek government and by Secretary-General of the Presidency Giorgos Gennimatas on behalf of the Greek president, who had extended the invitation for the visit.
Xi is due to meet President Prokopis Pavlopoulos, who visited China last May, and Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Monday. Xi and Mitsotakis met a few days ago, at the China International Import Expo in Shanghai.
Mitsotakis and Xi will visit the port of Piraeus, Greece’s largest and majority-owned by Chinese port operator Cosco. It is the biggest Chinese investment in Greece and Cosco recently received approval for a new investment plan that includes building a new cargo terminal.
The Chinese President will also attend the opening of the Bank of China’s first branch in the country.
Before departing from Athens on Tuesday, Xi will visit the Acropolis Museum.
President Xi Jinping’s schedule is as follows:
MONDAY, November 11
– 09.50, laying of a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Syntagma
– 10.00, received by President Pavlopoulos at the presidential mansion, for talks between delegations
– 11.10, meeting with Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis at Maximos Mansion and signing of bilateral agreements, followed by statements to the press
– 12.40, luncheon in honor of President Xi Jinping by PM Mitsotakis at a central Athenian restaurant
– 16.30, touring of Cosco’s Container Terminal in Piraeus, accompanied by PM Mitsotakis and both leaders’ spouses
– 19.00, dinner in his honor by President Pavlopoulos at the presidential mansion
TUESDAY, November 12
– 10.30, accompanied by Pavlopoulos on a tour of the Acropolis Museum before departing Greece
*Watch the video here-