Greece’s archaeological sites are scheduled to reopen to the public with new visitor rules on May 18, Greek Culture Minister Lina Mendoni announced, GTP Headlines reported.
Since March 13, as a precautionary measure to help control the spread of the deadly virus, museums and archaeological sites in Greece have been closed.
Mendoni’s announcement came after Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis stated that as of May 4, Greece will gradually start lifting lockdown measures.
The Minister announced the decision after a conference call with health ministry officials and crisis management experts, adding that specific regulations and measures would be announced in the coming period after the assessment of all data.
Issues discussed included protection measures and safety standards for the protection of employees and visitors at cultural sites and events.
The Minister also referred to the organisation of festivals, performances and rehearsals of theatre, dance, and music events as well as to film productions. However, Mitsotakis said on Tuesday that mass events, including sports events and concerts were not likely to take place this summer.
Mendoni said that the culture ministry had already prepared an action plan that will ensure the safe operation of cultural sites and protect guests with specially ordained distancing measures depending on site and space.
She stressed that all decisions were in line with national health authority guidelines and subject to change depending on the developments on the coronavirus front.
Earlier this week it was announced that the historical Acropolis in the Greek capital, is currently undergoing several safety improvements (with just a few delays), to enhance the visitor experience.
*Source: GTP Headlines