What's cooking in pandemic times? Now is the time to bring out your inner chef and make some sumptuous dishes at home.
Georgianna Hiliadaki and Nikos Roussos, the Greek duo behind 2 Michelin-starred Funky Gourmet in Athens, share a delicious traditional Lamb fricassée recipe (found below the video) as part of #Greecefromhome.
Last month, the duo also joined the initiative #cook4heroes where Greek chefs joined forces to cook for the frontliners, from home!
Lamb fricassée with Trahanas (for 4-6 people)
For the Lamb
- 4-6 lamb shanks 300 grams each
- 1 garlic halved
- 1 onion halved
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Butter for the glazing
- Season with salt the lamb shanks! Sauté both sides with sunflower oil until golden brown! Deglaze pan with some water and take the drippings!
- Put the shanks in a ceramic pot, cover with water and add all the deglazed water. This is all your flavor. Add onion, garlic and rosemary. Close with foil and lid.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 3h. Open the lid, strain some braising liquid for our fricassée and let the pot with the meat and rest of liquid for one 1h to cook more, uncovered for more glaze. Keep the meat aside and strain your braising liquid. Put on a pan, add some strained liquid and butter and glaze.
For the egg & lemon sauce
- 110 grams whole egg
- 250 grams cooking broth from the lamb cooking above
- 4 grams salt, 0.5 grams white pepper, 10 grams dill finely chopped, 20 grams lemon juice
- Put the eggs in a steel bowl and mix well.
- Set another bowl over ice bath and put in lemon, dill, salt & pepper.
- Place eggs bowl over a pan with boiling water and add the cooking broth, whisking constantly until thick (79°c). Attention!! IT should not curdle!
- Remove from heat immediately and strain into the bowl with the lemon & dill over ice. Mix well until cool. You can prepare this one day in advance.
For the fricassée
- 80 grams butter
- 80 grams onion finely chopped, 80 grams spring onion thinly sliced, 7 grams minced garlic
- 300 grams iceberg finely chopped
- 200 grams braising liquid from the lamb cooking
- Egg & lemon sauce from above
- 30 grams lemon juice & zest
- 1 gram white pepper, 10 grams salt, 50 grams trahanas
- 20 grams chopped dill, 10 grams chopped mironi, 10 grams chopped kafkalithra
- In a big pan, add the butter and the olive oil and sauté the onions & garlic. Once caramelized, add iceberg & sauté thoroughly. Add the liquid and trahanas and cook for a few minutes.
- Add egg & lemon sauce and mix in circular mode. Once thick enough, add rest of ingredients off heat!
- Serve on a plate and place glazed meat on top.