The Holy Archdiocese of Australia announced the establishment of a National Committee for the 200th anniversary of the Greek Revolution (1821-2021).
The National Committee consists of:
- His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia, President of the National Committee
- His Grace Bishop Ezekiel of Dervis, Archiepiscopal Vicar of Melbourne
- His Grace Bishop Iakovos of Miletoupolis, Archiepiscopal Vicar of Brisbane
- His Grace Bishop Emilianos of Meloa, Chancellor of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia
- His Grace Bishop Elpidios of Kyaneon, Archiepiscopal Vicar of Perth
- His Grace Bishop Silouan of Sinope, Archiepiscopal Vicar of Adelaide
- The Very Reverend Archimandrite, Father Evmenios Vasilopoulos, Archiepiscopal Vicar of Northcote
- Mr Bill Papastergiadis, President of the Greek Orthodox Community of Melbourne and Victoria
- Mr Elia Economou, Representative of the Inter-communities Council of NSW
- Mr John Loukadellis, President Parish - Community of St Nicholas, Canberra and representative of the Australian Capital Territory
- Mr Michael Anastas, President Parish - Community of St George, Brisbane, representative for the State of Queensland
- Mr Nicholas Poniris, President of the Greek Orthodox Community of Darwin, representative for the Northern Territory
- Mr John Papastamatis, representative for the State of Tasmania
- Mr Tony Tsourdalakis, President of the Cretan Federation of Australia and New Zealand, representative for the State of Victoria
- Dr Panayiotis Diamadis, Grand Secretary, AHEPA NSW
- Mr Arthur Balayannis, CEO of the Hellenic Club Sydney.
- Mr Harry Patsouris, Chair of the Board of St Basil’s Adelaide, representative for the State of South Australia
- Dr Angela Yiannakis, Greek Language Teacher at St Andrew’s Grammar Perth, representative for the State of Western Australia
- Mr Nicholas Bourdaniotis, Photographer, Greek City Times
- Dr Vasilis Adrahtas, University Professor, Secretary of the National Committee
The purpose of the National Committee is the organisation of nation-wide activities and events on behalf of the Holy Archdiocese of Australia and other relevant bodies, Greek Associations and Organisations in honour of the 200th anniversary of the ‘National Rebirth of Greece’, as well as the coordination of related activities and events throughout Australia.
The responsible coordinators for each state and region are the local Archiepiscopal Vicars and the lay representatives of the states or territories. The National Committee is working towards the preparation of the final program for the celebrations of the 1821-2021 Anniversary and, therefore, invites all interested parties to express their interest and submit their proposals for activities and events.
The official program will be announced at the end of October of this year and, for this reason, you are invited to contact the Secretary of the National Committee, Dr Vasilis Adrahtas by Monday 12 October on [email protected] or mobile: 0431 262 823.