Amigthalota, traditional Greek Almond Biscuits, are easy to bake and perfect for enjoying with your Greek coffee.
These biscuits are also suitable for a gluten free diet.
Below is the secret to those delicious and expensive biscuits you find in a Greek Zaharoplastio (Greek bakery/sweet shop).
In less than 10 steps and with 5 ingredients, you can also make them yourself.
TIP: Don't overcook the biscuits as they will become too crisp and hard. They are meant to be chewy inside and crisp on the outside.
- 3 egg whites
- 3 cups of almond meal
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 drops of almond essence
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Gradually add the sugar to the egg whites, beating until dissolved.
- Stir in the almond meal and essence.
Roll level tablespoons of the mixture into the flaked almonds, then roll into round shapes or oblong and place on well greased oven tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until a little bit golden.
- When ready, remove tray from oven.
- Allow the Amigthalota to cool on a rack.
- Enjoy! *You can also sprinkle a little bit of sifted icing sugar on top.
Check out our other recipes here:
- Horta Vrasta- Greek Boiled Leafy Greens Recipe
- Spetsofai- Greek Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Mussels Saganaki Recipe
- Greek-inspired lamb burgers Recipe
- Patsavouropita- Greek Rag Pie Recipe
- Spanakorizo- Spinach and Rice Recipe
- Bourekia Me Kima- Mince Filled Pastries Recipe
- Sokolatopita- Greek Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Loukoumades: Greek Honey Puffs Recipe