In a strongly worded press announcement, the Armenian Americans for Human Rights (AAHR) organisation condemned the latest aggression by Azerbaijan against the Republic of Artsakh (Nagorno-Karabagh) and the Republic of Armenia.
According to the announcement, on Sunday morning, September 27, 2020, Azerbaijan flagrantly violated a negotiated ceasefire by launching a massive, unprovoked attack on Artsakh and Armenia.
“In Azerbaijan, NATO member Turkey has deployed and is using its own armed forces and advanced arms, including American-supplied weapons such as F-16 jets, to attack Artsakh/Armenia.
“Using American-supplied weapons for other than self-defence is a grave violation of American law for which the United States must bear full responsibility.
“Azerbaijan and Turkey have been deliberately targeting innocent civilians, schools, and homes in Artsakh, resulting in hundreds of deaths and injuries, including those of children,” read the statement.
Turkish President Erdogan and his country have no business intruding into this conflict — particularly on the side of the aggressor.
“Perhaps not surprisingly, given his financial investments in Turkey and deep ties to the corrupt Erdogan family, President Trump is ignoring Turkey’s support for terrorist factions, aggression against Armenians (and others), and illegal use of American-supplied weapons.
“Similarly, the Democratic Party and its presidential nominee Joe Biden have said little about Turkish and Azeri aggression against Artsakh/Armenia. This implicitly aligns Mr. Biden and Democrats with President Trump with whom they allegedly disagree on issues involving Turkey and Erdogan.”
Armenian Americans for Human Rights makes the following calls:
- That the United States unequivocally demand that Azerbaijan and NATO member Turkey cease their aggression against Artsakh/Armenia. NATO must do the same. Enforcement must be swift.
- That the United States immediately cut off military aid of any type to Azerbaijan and Turkey.
- That the United States impose sanctions on Turkey for illegally using American-supplied military equipment and technology against Artsakh/Armenia.
- That the United States and NATO condemn the deployment of jihadists by Azerbaijan and Turkey and work for their immediate exit from Azerbaijan.
- That Israel cease supplying any and all military equipment, advice, personnel, technology, and intelligence — including that provided to Israel by America — to Azerbaijan.
- That the leading Jewish American organizations — particularly the American Jewish Committee and its CEO David Harris (received dictator Aliyev’s highest award) — end their disgraceful support of Azerbaijan, and condemn Azeri and Turkish aggression. We respectfully ask principled Jews and Israelis to ask them to do so.
- That the international community condemn Azerbaijan’s threat to bomb Armenia’s Metsamor nuclear power plant.
- That Russia cease supplying weapons and intelligence to Azerbaijan and Turkey and prohibit their use against Artsakh/Armenia now and in the future.
- That Russia adhere to its defense agreements with Armenia and cease using Azerbaijan and Turkey to coerce and extort Armenia.
- That Russia live up to its stated policy of opposition to terrorism and immediately work to remove jihadists from Azerbaijan.