Who doesn’t love Milopita? It's juicy, delicious and fragrant with that sweet apple filling...
Milopita (Μηλόπιτα) is a traditional Greek Apple Pie, enjoyed for breakfast, tea, with your coffee or when you want it!
This delicious dessert can be prepared quickly, but can also be eaten quickly.
*Tip: Milopita goes perfectly with Greek yogurt or vanilla ice-cream.
- 5 large red apples, sliced
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 60 g butter (saucepan)
- 1 cup of self raising flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 100g butter (extra- electric mixer)
- 3/4 cup sugar (extra- electric mixer)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of grounded cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease pie dish.
- In a bowl, combine the sliced apples with the lemon juice. Leave to the side.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, sugar and cinnamon. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then remove from heat.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, combine the extra butter, extra sugar, vanilla extract and egg yolks until light and fluffy. In two batches, stir in sifted flour and milk.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites (with electric mixer) until soft peaks form. Add into above mixture. (Optional: add in the walnuts) Mix before transferring mixture into pie dish.
- Drain the juice from the apples and stir in the warm sugar mixture.
- Arrange the apple slices over the cake mixture in pie dish. Drizzle with sugar mixture. Place any remaining apple slices on top.
- Place the pie dish into the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- When ready, remove the dish from oven.
- Allow the milopita to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar and serve with Greek yogurt or vanilla ice-cream. Enjoy!
Check out our other recipes here:
- Amigthalota- Greek Almond Biscuits Recipe
- Horta Vrasta- Greek Boiled Leafy Greens Recipe
- Spetsofai- Greek Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Mussels Saganaki Recipe
- Greek-inspired lamb burgers Recipe
- Patsavouropita- Greek Rag Pie Recipe
- Spanakorizo- Spinach and Rice Recipe
- Bourekia Me Kima- Mince Filled Pastries Recipe
- Sokolatopita- Greek Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Loukoumades: Greek Honey Puffs Recipe