“Europe stands united against terror," Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis tweeted, while sending a message of solidarity to people in Vienna.
“Shocked by the horrific attacks in #Vienna. I have conveyed to Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, our full solidarity,. Our thoughts are with the people in Vienna and the authorities dealing with the situation. Our hearts, with the victims and their loved ones,” Mitsotakis tweeted.
Shocked by the horrific attacks in #Vienna. I have conveyed to @sebastiankurz our full solidarity. Our thoughts are with the people in Vienna and the authorities dealing with the situation. Our hearts, with the victims and their loved ones.
Europe stands united against terror.
— Prime Minister GR (@PrimeministerGR) November 2, 2020
Austria's Interior Minister Karl Nehammer told a news conference that several people were killed in what the government has declared a "hideous" terror attack in Vienna on Monday evening.
Authorities have not yet confirmed an exact number of deaths, but stated that among the casualties was one of the attackers, who was shot by police.
A manhunt is currently underway for the "heavily armed and dangerous" attackers.
"We have brought several special forces units together that are now searching for the presumed terrorists," Nehammer said.
"I am, therefore, not limiting it to an area of Vienna because these are mobile perpetrators," he added.
Vienna Mayor Michael Ludwig said fifteen people, including an officer, had been hospitalised, seven of whom were suffering serious injuries.
Authorities are urging people to stay at home, confirming that the incident is “still active”.