What comes to mind when you hear the words 'sweet pastry', 'honey' and 'nuts'? BAKLAVA!
And today is National Baklava Day. To celebrate, we share a recipe from Greek-American television personality, Maria Menounos, which has been passed down from her mum.
In Maria's words, "it is easy to make".
A traditional and rich Greek dessert made with layers of phyllo pastry, which are filled with chopped walnuts and then drenched in a lemon, orange syrup.
- 1 box of filo dough (room temperature)
- ½ kg of walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of cloves
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
- ½ kg of melted sweetened butter
- 5 cloves
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
- 6 cups of water
- ½ orange peel
- ½ lemon peel
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- a flat brush
- sharp knife
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Chop the walnuts in very small pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: bread crumbs, cinnamon, cloves, walnuts, and sugar.
- Roll open the filo and pour a cup of the dry mix onto the filo dough. Use your hands to spread the dry mix evenly across the dough’s top sheet.
- Start at the bottom of the filo roll upwards tightly. When you get to the top take the entire roll and slide it down to the bottom and re-roll the entire piece again.
- Before re-rolling, butter the entire roll with the brush.
- Place each roll in a 9x13x2 and butter the top layers of each roll.
- Roll top filo as tight as you can and slide it at the beginning of the second filo.
- Repeat this until mix is gone. Now take a sharp knife and pre-slice it to the size you like before baking.
- Bake for 40 -45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take it out of the oven to cool down.
- Syrup: In a large pot, add all the syrup ingredients. Boil until syrupy…then cool off.
- When syrup is cool pour onto baklava and let it sit until it absorbs.
*You can also watch the video of her cooking demonstration here:
*Images courtesy of Alevri.
Address: 260-264 Wardell Rd, (corner Ewart St) Dulwich Hill NSW 2203
Telephone: 02 8577 9761
Address: Shop G035, Vicinity Roselands Shopping Centre, Roselands NSW 2196