Skyscanner, one of the world’s leading travel companies, has released the top travel destinations for 2021, which of course included Greece.
The list was curated using extensive traveller data and insights from expert travel commentators, including predictions on the soon-to-be trending destinations.
Skyscanner’s Top 2021 Travel Trends & Destinations are:
- Zooming out – As the world looks to embrace a world beyond the screen, these notification- free nature spots provide the ultimate escape – Atacama Desert Chile, Coral Coast Australia, Scottish Highlands.
- Sporting Heroes – Japan, South Africa – Almost a year of empty stadiums has led the world to crave the buzz of stadia, couple that with two of the world’s biggest destinations hosting major sporting occasions those considering an atmospheric adventure will look to the land of the rising sun for an excursion of Olympic proportions.
- Recovery Bubbles’ – South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam – Locations that responded quickly to the virus, maintaining domestic travel ensures their tourism infrastructure thrives, South Korea’s once up and coming international travel scene is expected to bounce back with aplomb.
- Greece is the word – Whitewashed vistas with deep blue Aegean waters flooded most social media feeds in 2020, Greece firmly placed itself top of almost everyone’s travel wish lists.
- Swell times ahead – Surfing cruises its way into the Olympics for the first time ever in 2021, with the world embracing outdoor pursuits of the socially distanced variety, Californiatops the list for swapping sofa surfing for the waves!
- Don’t forget the classics – 2020 highlighted the resilient popularity of some mainstay destinations that are likely to bounce back the moment their fans can return – New York & The Balearics top the charts.
- WFP: Working from Paradise – There’s no question the 2020 office looked a little different this but The Maldives, The Caribbean & Mexico look set to host the ultimate 2021 office upgrade.
- Regenerative Travel – As many consider how their return to travel impacts those communities and ecosystems that rely on travellers Costa Rica, Jamaica & The Azores are leading the way when it comes to conscious travel.
Earlier this week, Santorini was named for the seventh consecutive year the “Best Island in Europe” at the 2020 Global Traveler Awards.