It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and what better way to celebrate than with our first Christmas Recipe Advent Countdown! 2 days to go…
For get togethers at home we always organise a barbecue, and it wouldn’t be a barbecue without a traditional chicken gyro, rotating for hours before guests arrive.
This easy recipe will make you feel like you are eating authentic chicken gyro, but it’s as simple as marinating the chicken overnight and cooking it in the oven.
This is also a great chicken dish on its own, served with some rice pilaf and salad.
*Tip: Start this recipe a day ahead.
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl big enough to hold the chicken. Add the chicken and toss well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced.
- Place a non-stick baking tray in the oven. When the tray is very hot, remove from the oven and place the chicken thighs on it using tongs. The tray should be hot enough for the chicken to sear. Pour the marinade and stock over the chicken.
- Bake in the hot oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Turn the chicken to ensure it is well-coated with the marinade, and continue to cook until golden and crispy. The marinade should reduce to a delicious syrup and the chicken should be falling off the bone.
- When ready, shred the chicken and arrange on a warm platter. Serve in warm pita breads with tzatziki and salad.