Greek Civil Protection Deputy Minister Nikos Hardalias on Tuesday announced the extension of tightened covid-19 restrictions on two municipalities in West Attica until January 6, 2021.
The extension concerns the municipalities of Aspropyrgos and Elefsina.
At the same time, authorities decided to lift the additional restrictions on the municipality of Mandra-Idilia, also in West Attica.
Furthermore, additional lockdown measures on the northern Greece municipalities of Kozani, Eordea and Voio, have been extended until January 6.
Hardalias also expressed his concern about the rapid increase in Covid-19 cases in the following 8 areas:
- Florina (Northern Greece)
- Keratsini (West Piraeus)
- Drapetsona (West Piraeus)
- Peristeri (Northwestern Athens)
- Ilion (Northwestern Athens)
- Acharnes (East Attica)
- Zefyri (West Attica)
- The island of Kalymnos (Southeastern Aegean).
At the time of writing, no additional lockdown restrictions have been announced for the eight areas.
Since the start of the pandemic, the number of confirmed coronavirus infections is 136,976, with 4,730 deaths.
Earlier this week, Greece’s government spokesman Stelios Petsas said that lockdown measures will not be amended over New Year’s Eve and urged the public to abide by Covid-19 safety measures.
NYE Covid-19 Rules in Greece – Here’s what you need to know:
- No more than nine people (from two households) should gather in the same house, in order to avoid overcrowding.
- The nationwide night curfew from 10pm-5am will continue to apply until. There will be no exception on New Year’s. Exceptions: people who need to leave the house for work, health reasons or a short walk with a pet. They will have to send an SMS to 13033, or have a document from their employer.
- Police will carry out strict and constant checks throughout the country. Those caught violating curfew will face strict fines.
- Churches will be open to the faithful on New Year and Epiphany on January 6, with limits on the number of people allowed inside. There will be a limit of 25 people allowed in churches and up to 50 people in metropolitan cathedrals.
- For movement on New Year, citizens must send an SMS for option 6 to the five-digit mobile phone service 13033.
- Travel between prefectures (domestic travel) in Greece remains prohibited. It is is allowed only for returning to permanent residence, family reunification, business reasons and health reasons.