472,000 text messages were sent to 8998 for permission for movement on Sunday, the first day of the new lockdown in Cyprus.
According to Deputy Minister for Innovation and Digital Policy, Kyriacos Kokkinos, out of the 472,000 requests, 378,000 of them were approved.
He also noted that no problems were recorded on the first day the SMS system was reactivated.
Kokkinos said that around 138,000 messages were sent for category 2 while 123,000 messages were sent for category 6.
For clarifications about movement, people may call 1474.
Cyprus introduced a new lockdown to combat new Covid variant.
The current curfew banning movement from 9pm-5am daily remains in force.
Individuals will only be permitted to go out twice each day for specific reasons.
To go out, permission must be requested by sending a text message to 8998.
Requests should be sent as a string of numbers in the following format: category (1-8), space, ID number, space, postal code (four-digit postal code).
Categories to go out:
- Going to the pharmacy, visit a doctor, give blood or for a COVID test or for vaccination
- Going to a supermarket to buy essential products, goods and services (groceries, food)
- Going to the bank when electronic transactions are not possible
- Absolutely necessary visits to a government office
- Going out to help others who are in need of assistance or are in isolation, including those under quarantine
- Going out for physical exercise, in groups of up to two, in your neighborhood
- Attending a ceremony or service (funeral, wedding, baptism/christening) if guests are first or second degree relatives in groups of up to ten individuals
- Any other reason for going outside that can be justified under the measures as described in the latest decree on movement restrictions