On Monday, Greece’s Culture Ministry signed an agreement with Cosmote, the largest mobile network operator in Greece, to expand free wireless broadband services at more archaeological sites and museums across the country.
The program started several years ago but the new deal extends broadband coverage to 25 sites and museums, from the current 14.
The deal was signed between Culture Minister Lina Mendoni and OTE Group Chairman and CEO Michael Tsamaz.
The sites and museums that will soon have free WiFi:
- Ancient Olympia
- The Acropolis of Lindos in Rhodes
- The Archaeological site of Sounio
- The Royal Tombs at Aegae (Vergina)
- The new Museum of Vergina
- The Museum of Byzantine Culture
- Ancient Dodoni
- The Archaeological Site of Ancient Nemea
- The Museum of Palamidi
- The New Archaeological Museum of Chania
The free Wi-Fi access will enable visitors to easily search for information about the monuments and share their experience on social networks.
It will also help the cultural institutions develop new ways of guiding and hosting tourists.
According to Mendoni, Cosmote’s investment which exceeds €3 million “creates an upgraded environment that will offer a different, even better experience for thousands of Greeks and foreign visitors. With WiFi in the archeological sites we will provide them with digital services.”
On his part, Tsamaz pointed out that the good cooperation “allows us to use technology to highlight our cultural heritage and to multiply the impact of our history… At Cosmote we support our culture and history, because knowledge is a compass for the future. Only if we know our roots can we know where we are going. With our positive impact on society, the economy and the environment, we are creating a better world for all.”
The 14 sites and museums that already offer free internet are:
- The Acropolis
- The National Archaeological Museum
- The Byzantine & Christian Museum
- The Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes and the Archaeological Museum in the island’s Medieval City
- The Heraklion Archaeological Museum
- The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki
- The site of Knossos
- The Archaeological site and Museum of Delphi
- Ancient Epidaurus
- Archaeological Museum of Mycenae
- Ancient Corinth
- The Archaeological site of Delos
- The Archaeological site of Akrotiri in Santorini