Rizogalo (ρυζόγαλο) is named after its two key ingredients: ‘rizi’ meaning rice and ‘gala’ meaning milk.
Flavoured with vanilla and cinnamon, it is creamy and tastes delicious warm or chilled.
Here is how to make this recipe easily in your kitchen:
- 1 litre of milk
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- small piece of lemon peel
- 50g of short grain rice
- 50g of hazelnuts, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 2 teaspoons of cornflour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla pod
- extra milk
Method to make Rizogalo
- Heat milk with sugar and lemon peel in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
- As soon as the milk reaches boiling point, add the rice and lower heat to a simmer. Let it simmer for 25 minutes, remove from heat and discard the lemon peel.
- While the rice is cooking, make a runny paste with the cornflour and extra milk. Add the egg yolks and mix well. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and stir quickly. Add the vanilla pod. Return to low heat and keep stirring until it is the consistency of porridge.
- Pour into individual bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon and hazelnuts.
- Rizogalo can be served wither warm or chilled.
Check out our other recipes here:
- Kalitsounia- Cretan Cheese Pies Recipe
- Dolmades- Stuffed Vine Leaves Recipe
- Amigthalota- Greek Almond Biscuits Recipe
- Melitzanes Papoutsakia- Greek stuffed Eggplant Recipe
- Horta Vrasta- Greek Boiled Leafy Greens Recipe
- Mussels Saganaki Recipe
- Greek-inspired lamb burgers Recipe
- Spanakorizo- Spinach and Rice Recipe
- Sokolatopita- Greek Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Loukoumades: Greek Honey Puffs Recipe