They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and in that case, the work of Nick Bourdaniotis, the Director of Photography for Greek City Times, is worth millions.
Through his lens, he has captured the feeling and passion we all have inside of us for our Greek heritage. That strong love and emotion we can't describe in words.
And now, for the first time, Nick has put together his favourite photos in an exhibition called “The Evzones Collection”.
The Presidential Guard, Evzones, are the epitome of bravery and freedom, honouring the heroes thousands of years on, who fought and sacrificed for the land on which they stand on.
The National Media Launch for the exhibition took place on Tuesday night at St Spyridon Church Hall, Sydney, Australia.
In attendance was His Grace Bishop Emilianos of Meloa, Chancellor of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia, representing His Eminence Archbishop Makarios of Australia; the Consul General of Greece in Sydney, Mr Christos Karras; representatives of the Kalymnian Association of NSW, who generously sponsored the exhibition; Fr Steven Scoutas, Parish Priest of St Spyridon Parish and distinguished guests.
The evoking photographic exhibition is included in the calendar of the National Committee for the 200 years of Greek Independence 1821-2021, coordinated through the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia.
“If the photographer is interested in the people in front of his lens, and if he is compassionate, it’s already a lot. The instrument is not the camera but the photographer.” — Eve Arnold
“The Evzones Collection" has been compiled over the past six years, both in Greece and Australia.
Nick was granted rare, behind the scenes access to the Evzones daily lives for historical, archival, media and TV show purposes.
One of our favourite photographs captured by him is at the top of the Acropolis, where the Evzones raise the Greek flag every Sunday morning. This sacred ceremony is not open to the public.
Nick recalled this special moment on Tuesday evening: "There I was standing looking straight at the flag pole with the Acropolis in the background. As the morning sun was coming up over my shoulders, sweat was dripping over my over eyes. Nobody spoke, you could hear a pin drop. A buff of wind swirled around the flag pole, Evzones standing at attention, nobody moving, below, the band ready to play the national anthem.
"It’s like time stood still. I looked to the right across Athens skyline. At that moment I felt the 'philotimo'. I’m so happy I can share that with you."
Nick presents his most beloved photos with audiences in this beautifully presented exhibition that will tour around Australia.
“The Evzones Collection" around Australia
- Canberra: Saturday 20th February- Sunday 21st February at the Hellenic Club of Canberra. Time: 12:00pm-3.30pm then 6:00pm-9.30pm
- Melbourne: Friday 26th March– Sunday 11th April at Oakleigh Grammar School Hall & Government House of Victoria
- Adelaide: Thursday 15th April– Sunday 25th April at The Holy Monastery of St Nectarios
- Sydney: Thursday 6th May– Sunday 16th May at Hellenic Club Sydney, Beta / The Grande Level 2
- Brisbane: Friday 21st May- Sunday 30th May Brisbane Paniyiri / South Bank Tafe College
- Perth: Friday 19th November- Sunday 21st November
GCT followers can also take home a piece of the collection, by purchasing a collector’s premium coffee table book where the entire exhibition is showcased.
Additionally, you can purchase any of the amazing photographs in a variety of sizes and finishes.
For more information on how to purchase please visit https://greece2021.com.au/evzones
'The Evzones Collection' Major Sponsor
- The Kalymnian Association of NSW
'The Evzones Collection' Major Contributors
- The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia
- Greek City Times
- Image Smart
- Hellenic Club of Sydney
- Hellenic Club of Canberra
- Greek National Day Committee of Victoria
- Oakleigh Grammar Victoria
- The Greek Club Brisbane
- St Nectarios Monastery South Australia
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocesan District of WA
- Williams Fashion Logistics
*Photographs by George Karantonis- Founder/Creative Director of Image Smart (Copyright)