Souzoukakia (Σουτζουκάκια): These Greek oblong shaped meatballs made with cumin, then simmered in a rich tomato sauce, originated in Smyrna at the beginning of the 20th century.
This recipe is simple and can be served with rice, pasta, fried or tiganites patates (fried potatoes).
- 125g of butter
- 1x 410g tin peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons of tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- 1kg lean minced beef
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon finely crushed cumin
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of fresh breadcrumbs
- flour (for coating)
- 500g of butter
Method for Souzoukakia
- In a frying pan, melt the butter until foaming, add tomatoes, the tomato puree, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a little water when necessary. This should make a thick rich tomato sauce.
- Place mince, garlic and cumin in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add wine and mix. Then add the eggs and mix again. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the breadcrumbs, working them evenly through the mixture. It should be soft and moist, but firm enough to form into 5cm sausage shapes. If too soft, add more breadcrumbs, if too dry, add a little water.
- Form into sausage shapes and roll in flour.
- In a frying pan, melt 125g of butter.
- Fry meatballs until light brown, turning them once. As they are cooked, place into a saucepan. Add more butter to frying pan when necessary.
- Pour sauce onto meatballs in saucepan and add enough boiling water to barely cover them. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, adding salt and pepper according to taste.
Check out our other recipes here:
- Kalitsounia- Cretan Cheese Pies Recipe
- Dolmades- Stuffed Vine Leaves Recipe
- Amigthalota- Greek Almond Biscuits Recipe
- Rizogalo- Rice Pudding Recipe
- Melitzanes Papoutsakia- Greek stuffed Eggplant Recipe
- Horta Vrasta- Greek Boiled Leafy Greens Recipe
- Mussels Saganaki Recipe
- Greek-inspired lamb burgers Recipe
- Sokolatopita- Greek Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Loukoumades: Greek Honey Puffs Recipe