Extremely tasty, very nutritious and easy to make. Yes, we are talking about Fasolada (Φασολάδα).
This popular Greek bean soup is often referred to as the national food of the Greeks!
And it is very popular during Lent.
This recipe below has nourished generations, and today we share it with our GCT family:
*Tip: Serve fasolada with marinated kalamata olives and crusty bread!
- 2 cups of haricot beans
- 8 cups of water
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 1/2 cup of oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 small hot chilli, finely shopped (optional)
Steps to make Fasolada
- Soak beans overnight
- Wash the beans, place in a saucepan, add the water and boil for about 30 minutes.
- Add the oil, carrots, celery, tomato, salt and pepper (and hot chilli).
- Simmer covered for about 1 hour, or until beans are tender.
- Serve and enjoy!
Check out our other recipes here:
- Kalitsounia- Cretan Cheese Pies Recipe
- Dolmades- Stuffed Vine Leaves Recipe
- Amigthalota- Greek Almond Biscuits Recipe
- Horta Vrasta- Greek Boiled Leafy Greens Recipe
- Mussels Saganaki Recipe