Greek Easter soup
- 1.5 kg tripe chopped
- 4 legs of Pork ( trotters)
- 3.5 liters beef broth
- 1 large onion
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 cloves of garlic
- pepper fresh coarsely ground
- salt and pepper powder
For the egg and lemon sauce
2 whole eggsjuice of 2 lemons1 cup of Broth
- Blanch the tripe : Place tripe in a pot with water and let it boil for 20 min then drain and put back in the pot with the pigs trotters
- Wrap a piece of thin cloth garlic, oregano, thyme and crushed pepper and onion
- Take one string and wrap one end to a parcel that you have compiled and the other on the edge of the pot. Add the salt and pepper add the beef broth and
- Cook the tripe with broth of beef and herb parcel with spices for 2-3 hours
- When cooked remove Trotters and separate meat from the bone and cut tripe into chunks Place them back in the pot with the broth and boil for 10-15 minutes more
- Remove the parcel with spices,
- In a blender or milk shaker add the eggs lemon juice and a cup of the broth
- Mix well until it becomes white and frothy. Pore in to the rest of the soup and stir while you pore! Serve with a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper and some crusty bread enjoy!
It can be served without the egg and lemon sauce.
Serve it with a dash of olive oil and black pepper!
Patsas can be found in patsatzidika and mageiria (restaurants specializing in home-style cooking) throughout Greece. When ordering patsas, be sure to specify whether you want it hontrokommeno (with thickly-cut meat) or psilokommeno (with finely-sliced meat).