Pasteli (Παστέλι) is Greece’s famous honey sesame bar, which is a sweet snack that can be eaten at any time of the day.
Our homemade recipe creates the original sesame and honey version, however, you can also add other nuts such as pistachios, walnuts, and almonds to the mixture for some extra crunch!
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup of honey
- 2 cups of sesame seeds
Steps to make Pasteli
- Put the sugar, water and honey in a heavy based saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil. Boil for about 15 minutes or until it reaches the soft ball stage.
- Stir in sesame seeds and return to the boil. Boil for 15 minutes until seeds turn golden and a little of the syrup dropped into the water forms a hard ball.
- Take care not to overcook the sesame seeds.
- Pour into an oiled 18x28cm slab cake pan.
- When almost cool, cut into squares, triangles or fingers.
- Cut again when completely cold and wrap pieces in waxed paper.