A tavern owner in Crete who saved the life of his customer who was choking on food, has been recognised with a First Aid Ambassador award.
Vasilis Patelakis was acknowledged by the 112 awards for his quick-thinking and first aid knowledge.
The 112 awards are given annually by the European Emergency Number Association (EENA), to celebrate the incredible individuals and organisations who inspire us to keep driving change for people’s safety.
The incident which occurred two years ago, was recorded by a security camera at the tavern and was later posted by Patelakis, who wanted to inform people of how important it is to learn this life-saving procedure.
“It is a great honour to receive this 112 Award. My purpose from the beginning was to upload this video in order to make people see how important first aid knowledge is. In a perfect world, first aid lessons would be taught in every school. I hope this will come true one day,” Patelakis said accepting the award.
The dramatic video shows the tourist eating with his partner, and at one point you can see the man struggling to breathe. The tourist stands up and goes into a panic, while his girlfriend also gets up and tries to help him. People sitting at other tables close by are seen looking at him but not knowing what to do.
That is when the owner of the tavern quickly intervenes and applies the Heimlich manoeuvre and within a few seconds, he managed to save his life by applying strong pressure to his abdomen, between the navel and the ribcage, allowing the food to dislodge from the man’s windpipe.