After some centuries in ambiguity, the city reappears during the Turkish occupation, in the 14th century, under the name Vrachori (Imbrahoar), for the etymology of which several theories have been formulated. It was inhabited by many Turks and at the beginning of the 18th century it became the seat of the santzaki of Carlelli, the administrative center of today's Etoloakarnania. He took an active part in the Greek Revolution of 1821 and after a siege of many days was temporarily liberated on June 11, 1821. Later it was conquered again by Kioutachis and finally signed for the borders of the free Greek state in 1832.
After the liberation, Vrachori again took its ancient name Agrinion. The city began to grow rapidly, especially after the end of the 19th to the beginning of the twentieth century, when it turned en masse to the cultivation of tobacco. Huge warehouses and tobacco processing factories were built, mainly those of the Papastratos, Papapetrou and Panagopoulos families. After the Asia Minor Catastrophe, a large number of refugees arrived in the city and settled in the area of Agios Konstantinos, while we had a large movement of populations from Epirus and Evritania.
According to mythology, it was built by King Agrios, who was a descendant of the ancestor Etolos and his son Plevronas. The city, built almost next to the river Acheloos, which was the natural border between Aetolia and Acarnania, was several times under the domination of both sides. Diodorus Sikeliotis mentions it in 322 to 321 BC. when the Akarnanes occupied it. In 314 BC. Destroyed by Cassander and his brother Philip.