Boyfriend Kills Partner on Folegandros


Police are investigating the death of a 26-year-old woman whose body was found in the sea off the island of Folegandros on Friday.

The woman, Garyfallia, from Corinth in the Peloponnese, was reportedly on holiday, camping with her boyfriend on the Cycladic island.

Witnesses last saw the victim get out of her car wearing her backpack, before descending toward a rocky area near the beach of Lygaria in the northern part of the island.

Fishermen later spotted her body floating close to the beach.

Authorities have since arrested the woman's 30-year-old partner, who went missing for 24 hours after her disappearance.

"A resident of the island who happened to pass by the scene of the tragedy, saw and recognised the boyfriend of the 26-year-old sitting, hidden and scared, at the spot where the girl was found drowned.

The resident, without wasting time, called me and told me that she has probably seen the man who had been missing since the unfortunate woman was found dead.

I immediately called the police and the port authorities and we arrived at the spot.

"He resisted from the beginning, he did not want to surrender, throwing stone stones at the authorities but they managed to arrest him" , says Efthalia Papadopoulou, the mayor of Folegandros.

When he was arrested at the rocky spot after the 24-hour search,  the 30-year-old allegedly told the police,  "Guys what I did, it was a bad moment."

He was then taken to the police station for further questioning.


The 30-year-old man, according to information, was circulating on the island before the tragic event, socialising with the local shop owners.

He was visiting the Cycladic island  with the 26-year-old Garyfallia, bringing tents with them for the night and without having booked any accommodation.

After the 26-year-old victim was last seen getting out of a vehicle with a backpack at the rocky cliff face where her body was later found, her 30 year old partner disappeared. 
According to testimonies, her 30-year-old friend was seen on Friday night trying to enter a house and in his attempt he was injured in the head.
More light is soon to be shed on the case as the body of the 26-year-old was sent to Athens on Friday for an autopsy.

The police located an earring and blood stains in the area where the 26-year-old was found, according reports which also state that the necklace she was wearing was forcibly removed and found broken.

This suggests that the girl may have been killed on land first before her body was thrown into the sea by her perpetrator.