Halloumi bread recipe
Halloumi and bread go hand in hand and here is a fantastic Halloumopsomo (Halloumi bread) recipe.
- 600 x grams plain flour
- 1 x egg, whisked
- 1 x tablespoon olive oil, extra for drizzling
- 7 x grams of yeast
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1.5 x cups lukewarm water
- 250 x grams Halloumi cheese
- pepper, to taste
- Place flour, yeast and sugar in a large bowl.
- Make a hole in the centre and add salt, water, olive oil and egg.
- Knead the mixture with your hands, until you get a smooth like dough. If it seems a little dry, add a few more drops of lukewarm water.
- Place cling wrap over the bowl and allow to sit for 30 minutes, for the dough to rise.
- In the meantime, chop your Halloumi into small cubes and preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place baking paper sheet on a baking tray and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- When the dough is ready, divide into 2 equal pieces.
- Take one piece and place onto baking paper. Using your hands, gently form a round shape base.
- Place Halloumi all over the base and sprinkle with pepper.
- Form another piece of dough into a round shape and place evenly on top of Halloumi base. Press the sides down to close.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and place in oven. Bake for 45 minutes, or till golden brown.