Heavy smoke and flames filled a Greek Orthodox church on Central Street Wednesday night, after a fire broke out on the second floor, a fire official said.
Two-alarms were quickly sounded to help contain the fire at Dormition of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church, where fire crews responded around 7:20 p.m., Fire Chief Charles Breen said.
“Fires in churches can be extremely dangerous and fast-spreading,” Breen said at the scene. “They have high ceilings and roofs, and if the fire gets up there, it’s going to get ahead of us.”
The fire was confined to the front vestibule, however, the interior of the church suffered extensive smoke damage and water damage to a basement kitchen area. The fire remains under investigation but is not considered suspicious. Initial reports that the fire was gas fed were unfounded. The properly working fire alarm system which provided immediate notification to the fire department via the city alarm box system no doubt saved the church from what could have been a total loss.
Church members who learned about the fire rushed to the scene.