Ferrandina [Grk: Τροϋλια] is a town of 8,337 inhabitants in the province of Matera in Basilicata region, Southern Italy.
The town’s roots go back as far as 1,000 BC.
Its original name was Troylia [Grk: Τροϋλια], and it was built in memory of the ancient city of Troy.
During the Roman and Byzantine Eras, it was an important centre of Greek culture.
The town was eventually renamed after the father of the Spanish King Frederick of Naples.
In 1507, Ferdinand II of Aragon conferred it the title of ‘Civitas.’
Right after, the Dominicans created an agricultural centre specialised in the production of wool, highly valued in the Kingdom of Naples.
Ferrandina took part in the 1820 and 1860 rebellions.
In March 1862, brigand leader Carmine Crocco confronted and destroyed here a company of Piedmontese troops.
In September 1943, Ferrandina rose against the fascists.
The farmers rebelled to expel and seize the land of fascist landlords.
The town was cut off from electricity and telephones in an attempt to quench the protest.
The provisional government sent to the city military troops, later followed by minister Mario Scelba, a member of the interim anti-fascist government of Southern Italy, arrived in Ferrandina.
In 2003, Ferrandina took part in a protest against the Berlusconi government’s decision to build a nuclear waste center.