Majority of Greeks are Homeowners, Not Renters, survey finds

greek homeowners

More than 75% of Greeks lived in a household they own according 2020 figures published yesterday by Eurostat, whilst the European average was recorded at 70% with the remaining 30% living in rented housing.

According to Eurostat, the highest shares of ownership were observed in Romania, where 96% of the population lived in a household that owned their home, followed by Slovakia (92%), Hungary and Croatia (both 91%).

In all Member States, except for Germany, owning is most common. In Germany’s case, half of the population lived in a household owning their home and the other half in a rented home. The shares of homeownership were lowest also in Austria (55%) and Denmark (59%).


greek homeowners