The second and most severe wave of "Elpis" bad weather is sweeping the country, at a time when there is heavy snowfall in Athens, including in the most iconic location like Plaka.
In the north and west of the Attica prefecture, the snow has already been laid, while heavy snowfall is currently occurring in the centre of Athens and in the southern suburbs.
Photographer Panagiotis Karitinos captured this beautiful photo of Plaka.
View this post on Instagram
In fact, at 10:30 in the morning, the Civil Protection sent, through 112, a message to the residents of Attica, warning of heavy snowfall in the coming hours.
Due to the bad weather, traffic jams have been caused on the main roads of the northern suburbs.
The Athens-Lamia National Road remains closed from the height of the Kalyftaki bridge and from the Inofyta junction in the current to Athens. The rest of the vehicles are driven using anti-skid chains.
Also, the traffic of vehicles was stopped at the following points:
- On Anastaseos Street, in the area of Papagou and in both traffic streams, from the cemeteries to Ymittos.
- On Dionysos Avenue and in both traffic streams from the area of Anatoli (Nea Makri) to Penteli.
- On the street (Kaisariani) in both traffic directions, from the height of Kalopoula to Ymittos.
- On Parnithos Avenue from the height of the cable car in both directions.
- On Dionysos Street from the height of 414 SNEN to Agios Petros.
- On the old national road Athens-Thebes from the height of the CYCLON gas station downstream to Thebes.
In the meantime, following an announcement by TRAINOSE, the local local services of the suburban in the Koropi-Kantza section are suspended today due to the bad weather.
According to Greek meteorologists, today and tomorrow there will be very strong weather phenomena with unprecedented heavy snowfall in areas of the country where, usually, Greece does not have similar weather phenomena.
The Hellenic Police Headquarters advises citizens, who live in Attica and especially in the northern suburbs, where there is heavy snowfall, as well as in areas throughout the territory, where extreme weather phenomena occur, to avoid unnecessary movements.
In any case, it is reminded that information about traffic jams as well as useful tips for road safety, due to bad weather and severe weather, are available in a special banner on the website of the Greek Police.