The 35-room brick mansion at 40 E. Burton Place was built between 1909 and 1911 by architect Richard E. Schmidt of the Schmidt, Garden and Martin architectural firm. The mansion was built for John L. Shortall, and it was later owned by William G. Beale and then by Gladys Netcher before it was purchased by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America for $200,000 in 1962.
Since 1962, the mansion has housed the administrative offices for the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago’s six-state diocese.
The religious group first listed the mansion in August 2020 for $4.5 million. It reduced its asking price to $4.3 million in March 2021 and then to $3.99 million in June before reaching its final listing price of $3.74 million in October.