Fava is a delicious Santorini yellow split pea puree dish, which is simple to make, tastes absolutely amazing and is ideal during lent.
You can create this authentic recipe with a few ingredients, which can be served as a starter, mezze, or side dish.
Just add some drops of fresh lemon juice, capers or olives top it’s entirely up to you!
– 500 x grams yellow split peas
– 2 x onions, chopped
– 1/3 x litre olive oil, extra for drizzling
– salt and pepper to taste
– Rinse split peas thoroughly with water.
– Add olive oil to a saucepan and allow to heat.
– Place split peas in a saucepan and pour in water.
– Allow it to come to a boil and remove any froth that forms at the top of the saucepan.
– Add one chopped onion and pour in olive oil, salt and pepper. Allow to cook with the lid on for about 45 minutes, or until split peas are thick in texture.
– Blend peas with a hand blender or place in a food processor and mix until it becomes a smooth and creamy puree.
– Place in a serving dish, garnish with remaining chopped onion and drizzle lightly with olive oil.
*Recipe and image by flavours and flair