Everyone loves fries. Whether they are skinny, chunky, crinkly or cut into wedges, they are tempting!
And just when we thought they couldn't become any more irresistible, now there are Halloumi fries, which are appearing on menus all around the globe, becoming a worldwide hit!
Halloumi fries are fried sticks of halloumi, a Cypriot semi-hard cheese made from a combination of goat’s and sheep’s milk. Its high melting point makes it perfect for grilling and frying. To make these delicious fries, the cheese is coated in a mixture of flour before being dipped in hot oil. It is often accompanied by various garnishes and sauces such as tzatziki or mayonnaise.
Crispy and crunchy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside, it’s the perfect combination for Halloumi lovers and below is a simple recipe so you can try to make them at home!
•1 lemon, cut into wedges
•8 tablespoons of plain flour
•Block/Log of halloumi (500g), cut into fries
•Oil, for frying
•Handful of torn mint leaves (optional)
•Dipping sauce such as tzatziki (optional)
1. Cut the halloumi cheese into equal-sized ‘fries’, around 1.5cm in thickness.
2. In a bowl, pour flour in it and coat the halloumi sticks in it until they are evenly coated.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan until it reaches 180C, then carefully lower the halloumi into the oil in batches for two minutes at a time, until crisp and golden.
4. Remove the halloumi fries carefully from the oil and place them on some paper towels to drain the oil.
5. Sprinkle the halloumi fries with mint (optional) and serve with lemon wedges and/or tzatziki.
Our love affair with Halloumi is huge, so we have found some of the best places around the world where you can get your hands on some Halloumi fries!
Zeus Street Greek at Various Locations
*The Yiros Shop
189 Grey St, South Brisbane QLD 4101
437-441 King Georges Road, Beverly Hills NSW 2209
Victoria Street West & Hobson Street, Auckland, 1010, New Zealand
*The Happy Friar
Leoforos Amathountos, 139b | Parekklisia, Limassol 4533, Cyprus
Unit 12, KERB Camden Market, West Yard, Camden Lock Place, London NW1 8AF, United Kingdom
41 Lothian Street, Edinburgh EH1 1HB, Scotland
5 Great Ancoats St | Nuovo, Manchester M4 5AB, England
36-02 Ditmars Blvd, Queens, NY 11105, United States