A mass shooting at a shopping centre in Copenhagen, Denmark has claimed the lives of several people after a gunman wielding “a hunting rifle” opened fire at Field’s Shopping Mall early Monday morning (AEST) reported the BBC.
According to the media outlet, Danish police chief Soeren Thomassen said they had arrested one person in his twenties and could not rule out an “act of terrorism”.
Thomassen described the apprehended suspect, as a 22-year-old “ethnic Dane,” but said it was too early to establish a motive.
Shortly after the shooting, the Danish royal family announced that a reception due to be hosted by Crown Prince Frederik been cancelled. The event had been organised to celebrate Denmark hosting the first three stages of the Tour de France.
In a joint statement, Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary said their “deepest sympathy” was with “the victims, their relatives and all those who are affected by the tragedy”.
“We do not yet know the full extent of the tragedy, but it is already clear that more people have lost their lives and that even more have been injured,” the statement said.
Several neighbouring leaders expressed horror at the shooting and offered condolences to the families of those impacted.
Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin condemned what she called a “shocking act of violence” and Irish Taoiseach Micheal Martin offered his “deepest sympathies to the families and friends of those killed and injured”.
Norwegian leader Jonas Gahr Store said his “thoughts go to the victims and their relatives and to the relief crews who are currently working to save lives”.
Meanwhile, British singer Harry Styles’ concert at a venue close to the shooting scene has now been cancelled.
Writing on Snapchat, Styles said: “My team and I pray for everyone involved in the Copenhagen shopping mall shooting. I am shocked. Love H.”