Greek airports fair better than their peers

passenger traffic

Flight delays in Greek airports are far fewer than the chaotic conditions prevailing in other EU airports.

Infrastructure and Transport ministry sources said on Wednesday that problems occurring in large European airports accounted for at least 80% of any minor flight delays occurring in some Greek airports while offering assurances that Greek aviation traffic was not responsible.

According to available figures, 53% of flights in the Athens international airport land on time, while of the remaining 47%, 80% of delay is attributed to delays from European airports and 20% to commercial flights outside slots - mainly in the Heraklion airport, Crete - or private flights to Greek islands.

The ministry authorities said around 600-1,000 passenger luggage from previous days' flights were delivered to the Athens international airport daily. The airport has created a temporary logistics system to deal with the situation.