Spanakorizo is a popular dish that is both healthy and delicious!
The name of this tasty dish is a composite of the two key ingredients:
- Spanaki- meaning spinach
- Rizi- meaning rice
Many versions of Spanakorizo and different regions of Greece make it tomato-based or with lemon.
Today, we share a family recipe, a simple-to-follow tomato-based version.
Our recommendation is to also serve it with crumbled feta on top!
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 1kg fresh spinach, stems removed, washed and drained (chopped)
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1 x Spanish onion (chopped)
- 4 x tomatoes (blended into the sauce)
- 1 litre of water
- 1/2 cup Greek olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse rice in cold water and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the spinach and parsley. Stir for a few minutes until wilted.
- Add the rice, tomato sauce and water to the pot and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, check to see how much liquid is in the pot and test if the rice is cooked. If the spanakorizo appears too watery, continue to cook uncovered for a few minutes; if too thick and the rice is not cooked yet, add more water and allow to cook for a few more minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Serve with crumbled feta. Enjoy!