Fakes (Greek lentil soup) is both lent-friendly and vegan, making it a fantastic dish for those looking to eat something simple and tasty.
This Recipe Makes six soup bowls
- 250 grams of brown lentils
- 8 cups of water
- 1 x red onion, finely chopped
- 2 x garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 x carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 x celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 x bay leaf
- 3 x tomatoes, grated
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 x tablespoon vinegar (optional)
- Wash lentils thoroughly and place them in a pot with covering water and bring to a boil.
- Drain lentils and set them aside.
- Finely chop celery, onion, parsley and garlic.
- Grate tomatoes and carrots.
- Place the pot over medium heat and add water, lentils, tomatoes, celery, carrots, garlic and bay leaf. Stir with a wooden spoon and allow to simmer with the lid on for about 25 minutes.
- Pour in olive oil, salt, pepper and vinegar (optional), stir again and cook on medium heat, with the lid on, for another 40 minutes, or until it thickens.