Greek sailors are distinguished around the world, bringing great honour to the country.
From June 26th until August 5th, i.e. within 40 days, Greek sailors won 14 medals in the world and European championships! Four gold, six silver and four bronze. An incredible account.
- At the Optimist World Championship in Turkey, our country won 1 gold and 2 silver medals and became the third best in the world.
- In the recent Optimist European Championship in Denmark, the European champion was Greek.
- At the European 420 youth championship in Portugal, Greece reached the podium three times. The tally was 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze medal.
- In the ILCA 6 youth category European championship of Thessaloniki, we got 1 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze medal.
- And in the ILCA 4 Youth European Championship in Poland, Greece won 1 silver and 2 bronze medals.
"The numbers speak for themselves. The level of Greek sailing is very high and this is due to the decision of the Federation's administration to give immediate priority to the investment of Development in all categories, Olympic and non-Olympic," said a statement of the Hellenic Sailing Federation.
"That is why the continuous training camps, but also the hiring of the famous Danish coach Christian Rasmussen, who in close collaboration with his Greek colleagues has already started to teach our sailors the new know-how of the sport and pioneering training methods.
"Despite EIO's financial difficulties, the results are impressive and fully justify its decisions and choices, but of course also the sailors themselves, their coaches and their clubs.
"The hard work will continue with the sole aim of highlighting the authentic talents and for Greek sailing to continue to offer Greek sports great distinctions".