Five Greek cyclists are set to ride a distance of 3,000 km from London to Athens in support of the of the reunificaton of Parthenon Sculptures.
The municipality of Palaio Faliro in cooperation with Vasiliki Voutzali have organised the cycling event which kicks off today Sunday 14 August and expected to conclude Sunday 28 August 2022 aptly entitled 'Bring them Back': 5 cyclists, 14 days 3,000 km.
The 3,000 km ride will commence at the British Museum and end at the Sacred Rock of the Acropolis; the first such event organised by Greek cycling enthusiasts.
The first such event to take place supporting the reunification of the Parthenon Sculptures was a solo cyclist from the UK, Dr Christopher Stockdale.
This cycling event is organised under the auspices of the POLITICAL PROTECTION - IDAFK P.E.E.E.P.I. - D.D.I.P.P.D.K. - ACTIVE CITIZENS of the Institute for The Management of Man-made and Natural Disasters - international Network for Civil Protection and Crisis Management belonging to the Ministry of Labour and in particular to the department of K.A.L.O.
The Five Participating Cyclists
1. Vasiliki Voutzali : Transcontinental race 2014 (4000 km) London - Istanbul , Indian Pacific race Perth-Sydney (5500 km )
2. Steffen Streich: German living and working in Mytilene, Lesvos and competes in ultra endurance races under the Greek flag, some of his achievements: TCR (London -Istanbul 3500 km), IPWR (Perth -Sydney Australia 5780 km), Transam(6900 km) TransAfrica (1860 km) North Cape -Tarifa (7800 km)
3. Giannis Efthymiou: 2 entries in the Round of Central Greece 2017 and 2021 (1400 km), two participations Paris Brest Paris 2015 and 2019 (1200 km )
4. Vasilis Kordas: many distinctions in endurance cycling races in Greece and abroad
5. Stavros Soumas: has participated in events within Greece from 200 to 600 km. Once the five cyclists reach Greek soil, Christos Koromilias will join the athlete with visual disabilities. Christos Koromilas, President Ionas People with Disabilities, member of the Board of Directors of the Lighthouse of the Blind of Greece, the Guide Dogs for the Blind of Greece and the EAOM people with disabilities.
The sponsors as well as the participants with some of their achievements are listed below:
1. Alexandros Matheou, Vascular Surgeon
5. Sumas Batteries
6. Kovanis Custom Sportswear
7. Alfa Cyclingteam
8. Toys Stores
9. ANEK LINES Οfficial
11. Superfast Ferries
10. Gountas Physio
11. Νικολαΐδης driving school
12. Grill spot
13. Dalavikas Bikes
14. Zs Zitrosocks
15. ΠΑΣ ΠΗΝΕΙΟΣ