Amigthalota, traditional Greek Almond Biscuits, are easy to bake and perfect for enjoying with your Greek coffee.
These biscuits are also suitable for a gluten-free diet.
Below is the secret to those delicious and expensive biscuits you find in a Greek Zaharoplastio (Greek bakery/sweet shop).
You can also make them in less than ten steps and with five ingredients.
TIP: Don't overcook the biscuits as they will become too crisp and complex. They are meant to be chewy inside and crisp on the outside.
- Three egg whites
- 3 cups of almond meal
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Three drops of almond essence
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Gradually add the sugar to the egg whites, beating until dissolved.
- Stir in the almond meal and essence.
- Roll level tablespoons of the mixture into the flaked almonds, then roll into round shapes or oblong and place on a well-greased oven tray.
- Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until a little bit golden.
- When ready, remove the tray from the oven.
- Allow the Amigthalota to cool on a rack.
- Enjoy! *You can also sprinkle a bit of sifted icing sugar on top.
Check out our other recipes here:
- Horta Vrasta- Greek Boiled Leafy Greens Recipe
- Spetsofai- Greek Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Mussels Saganaki Recipe
- Greek-inspired lamb burgers Recipe
- Patsavouropita- Greek Rag Pie Recipe
- Spanakorizo- Spinach and Rice Recipe
- Bourekia Me Kima- Mince Filled Pastries Recipe
- Sokolatopita- Greek Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Loukoumades: Greek Honey Puffs Recipe