Greek passport holders, particularly those residing outside of Greece, were thrilled last year to learn that the validity of Greek passports increased.
As of September 1st 2022, according to Law4962/2022,Article 87 «Legislative Regulations for passport issuance», passports issuedafter 01.09.2022to adults or minors exceeding the age of 14 years old, will have a ten-year validity period, without alteration of the required administrative fees.
The validity of Greek passports now meets international standards
With this provision, Greece is now in line with international passport validity standards.
This is an arrangement that, among other things, and without changing the required fixed stamp fees for citizens, is part of the Ministry's wider planning to reduce bureaucracy, save personnel from processing cases and the reduction, in general, of unnecessary expenses and working hours
It is noted that the Ministry of Citizen Protection is taking all the necessary procedures to ensure not only the full and timely satisfaction of Greece's International obligations, but also the acquisition of high-standard security documents that it issues in the future, fully compatible with European and International regulations.
Greek City Times can confirm from personal recent experience, that the renewal process in Greece November 2022, was simple and speedy.
In this instance: Greek Australian with dual passports/citizenship. Dual citizens have two passports (one from each country) that can enjoy the rights, privileges, and responsibilities of each country.
What you need to know:
- You must have new passport photos taken which you can do so in Greece (as will need to adhere to Greece requirements and standards) to avoid rejection of photos.
- Renewal of Greek passport in Greece can only be done in person at a Police Station.
- Have your current/old Greek passport with you.
- If you have a (ταυτότητα) Greek I.D. take that with you also.
- You will need to have paid the (παράβολο) administrative fee prior.
- The (παράβολο) administrative fee (84 euros) can be paid online or at a (ΚΕΠ) KEP office.
- Once the fee has been paid, take that receipt/document to the Police Station.
- All required supporting documents, without exception, must accompany the applicant.
- Take all the above to the Police Station, an officer will begin the process of your passport renewal.
- You'll answer a series of questions, have your finger prints taken and sign what is required.
- You will be issued with a number from the Police officer upon completion of online submission, this number will allow you to track the progress of your application status online.
- You will also be given a document which you'll need to take with you again, (along with your old passport) when it's time to collect your new passport.
- Renewal of Greek passport in Greece generally only takes several days, in our case 3 days but safe to say, given no complications, anywhere between 3-5 days.
- Once online tracking status indicates 'ready for collection', you can collect your new passport in person from the same Police Station.
- Your new Greek passport is now valid for 10 years.
If you have a (ταυτότητα) Greek I.D. it is imperative that your details on your Greek passport match to your Greek I.D. e.g.- your name must be exactly as it is shown on the I.D. and as it is registered in the Greece government system. If you have a an (Α.Φ.Μ.) a Greek TFN (Tax File Number) your details must be entered into the system in Greek (not English) and match your Greek I.D. Trust us on this one!
If your details don't match, this will only delay your application process and we all know how frustrating that can be. You will be directed to the tax office to have this amended. This is a time consuming process in itself if you don't have a lawyer acting on your behalf.
Greece's passport website is: https://passport.gov.gr/ you will find lots of helpful and insightful information on there, it is also where you will track your passport status application.
We are all aware how frustrating Greece's processes can be....trust and respect the process. Stay calm and be considerate to the service people during your quest, they are only doing their job and following procedural laws. Keep in mind it's not their fault and it pays to be courteous! Being polite goes a long way, you will find people will go out of their way to be of greater assistance.
This article will prompt many questions and interest on how to obtain a Greek passport, you can read our article: https://greekcitytimes.com/2022/05/18/requirements-and-process-of-obtaining-a-greek-passport/ as a starting point to guide you.
If you are eligible for a Greek passport, make 2023 the year to get yours!