In terms of temperatures, 2022 was another warm year for most regions of Greece, peaking in the periods 22-23 June and 23-29 July, according to the National Observatory Athens/meteo.gr. The lowest temperatures of the year were recorded mainly during the ELPIS weather storm (January 23-25).
A special place in the temperature records of 2022 is occupied by Lefkohori Fthiotida, where the lowest minimum (-18.1 degrees on 26/01) and the highest maximum (42.1 degrees on 23/06) of the year were recorded at the same time, creating an annual temperature range greater than 60 degrees Celsius.
In terms of rainfall, Crete, Epirus and Magnesia shared the lead, with the meteorological station in Asi Gonia of Chania recording an annual rainfall of 2,383 millimetres. On the contrary, the lowest annual precipitation heights are found in Attica, South Boeotia and North Corinth.
In addition to the above records, the following meteorological data of the year are considered noteworthy:
- During the bad weather "ELPIS" (January 23-25), heavy snowfall occurred in the prefecture of Attica and in the city of Athens. Hundreds of drivers were stranded on Attiki Odos, while several areas of Attica were faced with multi-day power outages.
- March during its first three weeks was extremely cold, with snowfall occurring in several regions of the country. In fact, snowfall occurred in Attica between March 10-12 and March 19-21.
- June was characterised by a lot of rain in the mainland. In July, many rains occurred again in Central and Northern Greece.
- In the period 20-26 August bad weather of very long duration hit almost the entire country, something that had happened in the summer for 47 years (30/07 - 05/08/1975).
- September was very cold in Northern Greece.
- On October 15, heavy rains caused floods and major disasters in Crete, while two people lost their lives.
- December was unusually warm across the country.
- On 24/01 at the ski centre of Kaimaktsalan (2,090 meters) a minimum temperature of -19.8 °C was recorded, on 26/01 at the sinkhole of Bathystallos Parnassos (1,780 metres) a minimum temperature of
- 28.6 °C was recorded, while on the same day the minimum temperature in the sinkhole of Kehroti Mainalo (1,613 meters) was equal to -29.2 degrees Celsius.
- The significant rainfall that the Cyclades received in August, had the result that they are not in the last positions in terms of annual rainfall levels after many years.
- Out of all the bad weather that occurred in the country in 2022, names were given to eight (Diomedes, Elpis, Bianca, Filippos, Genesis, Eva, Ariel, Gaia).
- The burned areas in our country from the beginning of 2022 until the last ten days of October were approximately 200,000 acres, areas that correspond to approximately 46% of the average burned area in the country during the period 2006-2021.