The National Geographic short documentary The Flagmakers executive produced by NBA champ and 2-time MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo and co-directed by Oscar winning doco maker Cynthia Wade has missed out on an Oscar nomination following the Academy's announcement on Tuesday.
The short documentary "The Flagmakers," is about a group of immigrants working in a factory that manufactures American flags.
“As an immigrant myself, I find this film incredibly personal and a deeply moving testament to those who call this country ‘home.’ Each one of these inspiring individuals have overcome adversity and challenges in their lives and bring those unique experiences and stories as they craft the American flag.” said Antetokounmpo in a statement last September.
Oscar®-winning actor-producer Riz Ahmed and actor Allison Williams announced the 95th Oscars® nominations yesterday, live from the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theatre via a global live stream on Oscar.com, Oscars.org and the Academy’s digital platforms, an international satellite feed and broadcast media.
Ahmed and Williams announced the nominees in 9 categories at 5:30 a.m. PT, followed by the remaining 14 categories at 5:41 a.m. PT, at the live event attended by international media and industry guests. For a complete list of nominees, visit the official Oscars website, www.oscar.com.
Academy members from each of the 17 branches vote to determine the nominees in their respective categories – actors nominate actors, film editors nominate film editors, etc. In the Animated Feature Film and International Feature Film categories, nominees are selected by a vote of multi-branch screening committees. All voting members are eligible to select the Best Picture nominees. This year, the Academy saw its highest ever voter participation in the organisation’s history, with members submitting ballots from 80 countries.
Performance by an actor in a leading role
- Austin Butler in "Elvis"
- Colin Farrell in "The Banshees of Inisherin"
- Brendan Fraser in "The Whale"
- Paul Mescal in "Aftersun"
- Bill Nighy in "Living"
Performance by an actor in a supporting role
- Brendan Gleeson in "The Banshees of Inisherin"
- Brian Tyree Henry in "Causeway"
- Judd Hirsch in "The Fabelmans"
- Barry Keoghan in "The Banshees of Inisherin"
- Ke Huy Quan in "Everything Everywhere All at Once"
Performance by an actress in a leading role
- Cate Blanchett in "Tár"
- Ana de Armas in "Blonde"
- Andrea Riseborough in "To Leslie"
- Michelle Williams in "The Fabelmans"
- Michelle Yeoh in "Everything Everywhere All at Once"
Performance by an actress in a supporting role
- Angela Bassett in "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever"
- Hong Chau in "The Whale"
- Kerry Condon in "The Banshees of Inisherin"
- Jamie Lee Curtis in "Everything Everywhere All at Once"
- Stephanie Hsu in "Everything Everywhere All at Once"
Best animated feature film of the year
- "Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio" Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar and Alex Bulkley
- "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On" Dean Fleischer Camp, Elisabeth Holm, Andrew Goldman, Caroline Kaplan and Paul Mezey
- "Puss in Boots: The Last Wish" Joel Crawford and Mark Swift
- "The Sea Beast" Chris Williams and Jed Schlanger
- "Turning Red" Domee Shi and Lindsey Collins
Achievement in cinematography
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" James Friend
- "Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths" Darius Khondji
- "Elvis" Mandy Walker
- "Empire of Light" Roger Deakins
- "Tár" Florian Hoffmeister
Achievement in costume design
- "Babylon" Mary Zophres
- "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever" Ruth Carter
- "Elvis" Catherine Martin
- "Everything Everywhere All at Once" Shirley Kurata
- "Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris" Jenny Beavan
Achievement in directing
- "The Banshees of Inisherin" Martin McDonagh
- "Everything Everywhere All at Once" Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
- "The Fabelmans" Steven Spielberg
- "Tár" Todd Field
- "Triangle of Sadness" Ruben Östlund
Best documentary feature
- "All That Breathes" Shaunak Sen, Aman Mann and Teddy Leifer
- "All the Beauty and the Bloodshed" Laura Poitras, Howard Gertler, John Lyons, Nan Goldin and Yoni Golijov
- "Fire of Love" Sara Dosa, Shane Boris and Ina Fichman
- "A House Made of Splinters" Simon Lereng Wilmont and Monica Hellström
- "Navalny" Daniel Roher, Odessa Rae, Diane Becker, Melanie Miller and Shane Boris
Best documentary short subject
- "The Elephant Whisperers" Kartiki Gonsalves and Guneet Monga
- "Haulout" Evgenia Arbugaeva and Maxim Arbugaev
- "How Do You Measure a Year?" Jay Rosenblatt
- "The Martha Mitchell Effect" Anne Alvergue and Beth Levison
- "Stranger at the Gate" Joshua Seftel and Conall Jones
Achievement in film editing
- "The Banshees of Inisherin" Mikkel E.G. Nielsen
- "Elvis" Matt Villa and Jonathan Redmond
- "Everything Everywhere All at Once" Paul Rogers
- "Tár" Monika Willi
- "Top Gun: Maverick" Eddie Hamilton
Best international feature film of the year
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" Germany
- "Argentina, 1985" Argentina
- "Close" Belgium
- "EO" Poland
- "The Quiet Girl" Ireland
Achievement in makeup and hairstyling
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" Heike Merker and Linda Eisenhamerová
- "The Batman" Naomi Donne, Mike Marino and Mike Fontaine
- "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever" Camille Friend and Joel Harlow
- "Elvis" Mark Coulier, Jason Baird and Aldo Signoretti
- "The Whale" Adrien Morot, Judy Chin and Anne Marie Bradley
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" Volker Bertelmann
- "Babylon" Justin Hurwitz
- "The Banshees of Inisherin" Carter Burwell
- "Everything Everywhere All at Once" Son Lux
- "The Fabelmans" John Williams
Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
- "Applause" from "Tell It like a Woman"
Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
- "Hold My Hand" from "Top Gun: Maverick"
Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga and BloodPop
- "Lift Me Up" from "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever"
Music by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler and Ludwig Goransson; Lyric by Tems and Ryan Coogler
- "Naatu Naatu" from "RRR"
Music by M.M. Keeravaani; Lyric by Chandrabose
- "This Is A Life" from "Everything Everywhere All at Once"
Music by Ryan Lott, David Byrne and Mitski; Lyric by Ryan Lott and David Byrne
Best motion picture of the year
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" Malte Grunert, Producer
- "Avatar: The Way of Water" James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers
- "The Banshees of Inisherin" Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers
- "Elvis" Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Gail Berman, Patrick McCormick and Schuyler Weiss, Producers
- "Everything Everywhere All at Once" Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers
- "The Fabelmans" Kristie Macosko Krieger, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner, Producers
- "Tár" Todd Field, Alexandra Milchan and Scott Lambert, Producers
- "Top Gun: Maverick" Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, Producers
- "Triangle of Sadness" Erik Hemmendorff and Philippe Bober, Producers
- "Women Talking" Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Frances McDormand, Producers
Achievement in production design
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" Production Design: Christian M. Goldbeck; Set Decoration: Ernestine Hipper
- "Avatar: The Way of Water" Production Design: Dylan Cole and Ben Procter; Set Decoration: Vanessa Cole
- "Babylon" Production Design: Florencia Martin; Set Decoration: Anthony Carlino
- "Elvis" Production Design: Catherine Martin and Karen Murphy; Set Decoration: Bev Dunn
- "The Fabelmans" Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Karen O'Hara
Best animated short film
- "The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse" Charlie Mackesy and Matthew Freud
- "The Flying Sailor" Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby
- "Ice Merchants" João Gonzalez and Bruno Caetano
- "My Year of Dicks" Sara Gunnarsdóttir and Pamela Ribon
- "An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It" Lachlan Pendragon
Best live action short film
- "An Irish Goodbye" Tom Berkeley and Ross White
- "Ivalu" Anders Walter and Rebecca Pruzan
- "Le Pupille" Alice Rohrwacher and Alfonso Cuarón
- "Night Ride" Eirik Tveiten and Gaute Lid Larssen
- "The Red Suitcase" Cyrus Neshvad
Achievement in sound
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" Viktor Prášil, Frank Kruse, Markus Stemler, Lars Ginzel and Stefan Korte
- "Avatar: The Way of Water" Julian Howarth, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, Dick Bernstein, Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers and Michael Hedges
- "The Batman" Stuart Wilson, William Files, Douglas Murray and Andy Nelson
- "Elvis" David Lee, Wayne Pashley, Andy Nelson and Michael Keller
- "Top Gun: Maverick" Mark Weingarten, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Chris Burdon and Mark Taylor
Achievement in visual effects
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" Frank Petzold, Viktor Müller, Markus Frank and Kamil Jafar
- "Avatar: The Way of Water" Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon and Daniel Barrett
- "The Batman" Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy
- "Black Panther: Wakanda Forever" Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, R. Christopher White and Dan Sudick
- "Top Gun: Maverick" Ryan Tudhope, Seth Hill, Bryan Litson and Scott R. Fisher
- "All Quiet on the Western Front" Screenplay by Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson & Ian Stokell
- "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery" Written by Rian Johnson
- "Living" Written by Kazuo Ishiguro
- "Top Gun: Maverick" Screenplay by Ehren Kruger and Eric Warren Singer and Christopher McQuarrie; Story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks
- "Women Talking" Screenplay by Sarah Polley
- "The Banshees of Inisherin" Written by Martin McDonagh
- "Everything Everywhere All at Once" Written by Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
- "The Fabelmans" Written by Steven Spielberg & Tony Kushner
- "Tár" Written by Todd Field
- "Triangle of Sadness" Written by Ruben Östlund